The Mission Statement of
Elmer G. Bondy Intermediate School
The mission of Elmer G. Bondy Intermediate School is to provide students with a safe, nurturing environment in which they can achieve their highest level of academic excellence through self-directed learning, enhance their self-worth and intrinsic motivation, and develop into responsible, productive leaders and members of society through a partnership with parents, educators and members of the Pasadena community.
1. Texas Mentor School in 1993
2. Recipient of the Elmer Watson Award for Outstanding Middle School inRegion IV in the 95-96 school year. (Awarded by the Texas Middle SchoolAssociation)
3. District Commendation-1997
4. "Exemplary" rating for continued improvement of student achievement for 1997, awarded by the H.O.S.T. Learning Corporation
5. A Texas Exemplary Campus 2000
6. A Texas Recognized Campus in 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, and 2010.
7. 2012-2013 Met Standards with Distinctions in Academic Achievement in Mathematics and Academic Achievement in Top 25 Percent Student Progress.
8. 2013-2014 Featured Nationally as a High-Progress Reward School with Distinctions in all 7 Areas: Academic Achievement in Reading/English Language Arts; Academic Achievement in Mathematics; Academic Achievement in Science; Academic Achievement in Social Studies; Top 25 Percent: Student Progress; Top 25 Percent: Closing Performance Gaps; Postsecondary Readiness.
9. 2014-2015 Met Standards with Distinctions in Academic Achievement in Mathematics and Top 25 Percent in Closing Performance Gaps.
10. 2015-2016 Met Standards with Distinctions in Mathematics, Social Studies, Top 25 Percent Closing Performance Gaps, Top 25 Percent Student Progress, and Top 25 Percent in Postsecondary Readiness.
Elmer Glenn Bondy 1922-2012
Elmer Bondy's 39 years of service to the Pasadena ISD ran the gamut from football coach to district administrator.
Bondy joined the faculty and coaching staff at Pasadena High in the late 1940s. He went on to serve as assistant principal at Pasadena High and in 1963 was named the third principal in the history of South Houston High.
Elmer Glenn Bondy was born in Monroe, La., Augst 4, 1922 and raised in San Antonio, where he graduated from Brackenridge High School in 1940. He attended Southwest Texas State on a football scholarship, but his pursuit of a degree was interrupted by World War II.
After the bombing of Pearl Harbor, at age 19, he withdrew from school and enlisted in the Army Air Corps (Air Force). He graduated from flying school, earning his twin engine pilot wings and a commission as a Second Lieutenant. He flew a C-47 to New Guinea in the Pacific to participate in the war to liberate the Philippine Islands under the command of Gen. Douglas McArthur. After WWII ended, he was honorably discharged at the rank of First Lieutenant.
After the war, he re-enrolled at Southwest Texas State and earned a bachelor’s degree in education and later earned a master’s degree in school administration from the University of Houston. He married Isla Stockwell of Raymondville in 1947. The couple moved to Pasadena where Bondy began his career in education. He was hired by the Pasadena School Board as a Coach and Mathematics teacher at South Houston Junior High School. His next assignment was at Pasadena HighSchool as a coach, teacher, and assistant principal. In 1963 Mr. Bondy was appointed Principal of South Houston High School. After four years he was named Assistant Superintendent for Secondary Schools. He served in this position for nineteen years until his retirement in 1986.
A highly regarded member of the Pasadena community, Bondy was honored in 1993 with the naming and dedication of Bondy Intermediate.
Mr. Bondy was a past-president and lifetime member of the Pasadena Noon Optimist Club, a Texas Life Member of PTA, a member of Pasadena Rotary Club and First United Methodist Church in Pasadena.
He passed away on Augst 11, 2012 at the age of 90. Mr. Bondy is always honored at Bondy's annual Veteran's Day Ceremony. His wife, Isla, was honored with the naming and dedication of the campuses greenhouse and garden on the side of the school which is kept up by the staff and students at Bondy.